Extended Triangle Pose is a revitalizing posture that encompasses the entire body. It is a hip opener, core strengthener, side bend, twist, and heart opener. The posture requires complete physical and emotional balance of energy—the feet need to be grounded and weighted equally, balanced by the heart, and the hips (our emotional junk drawer) feeling secure enough to open. It requires you to confidently take up space on your mat and in the room to fully express the pose.
Beginners and even advanced students often find this pose to be exceptionally challenging. Don’t feel compelled to push through the posture or you will lose your alignment.
- Bend from your hips, not from your waist
- Keep your thighs engaged by maintaining a slight bend in your knees
- To improve alignment, imagine you are standing in between two panes of glass
- If your hand doesn’t reach the floor, place it on a block directly beneath your shoulder to modify. Using a block alleviates stress on hips and hamstrings and helps you to keep length in your torso instead of rounding your back
- Don’t forget to breathe!
- Improves balance and core strength
- Stretches shoulders, chest, hips, thighs and groin
- Strengthens ankles, knees, and core muscles
- Stimulates abdominal organs and intestines
To Prevent Injury
- Be mindful to maintain your weight evenly between all four corners of the feet
- Protect your knees by keeping your front knee in alignment with your front big toe
- Avoid locking your knees
Practicing Extended Triangle Pose on a regular basis will bring poise, strength, and equanimity to all areas of your life!